San Francisco, CA
Help us revolutionize the way local businesses work as a Data Engineer.
We #LoveLocal businesses! Independent businesses are an irreplaceable asset in our communities, fueling economic growth, creating jobs, and making our neighborhoods better places to be. We are humbled by the enormity of the challenges they face every day. Our mission is to empower local businesses by providing easy access to a community full of answers and resources.
Townsquared is the only online network that allows businesses to connect privately. Members have access to other businesses in the city, to ask and answer questions, post events, find partners, and, ultimately, build thriving businesses.
Who we are:
We are a Series B funded startup (Sierra Ventures, Intuit, August Capital, Floodgate, among others) in the heart of San Francisco, with a diverse team of driven people working at the intersection of cutting-edge design, complex technology, and social good. We offer the opportunity to help build a product that enables economic change and affects people in a real way.
How we work:
We operate in small teams that work iteratively and collaboratively. Our culture emphasizes openness, experimentation, and learning: we build features in short sprints, continually test hypotheses about our product, and make data-driven decisions. Engineers contribute not just to code but also to the design of our product. We expect everyone to have ideas about what a great product looks like, and be prepared to talk about them with others.
On any given day, engineers might participate in reviewing the design of a new feature from our product designers; write a technical design document to explore the feasibility of a new feature; write APIs or client-side code; or help deploy the MVP of a new feature to our production website.
We believe in jumping in with both feet. New engineers write code on their first day, and usually ship a new feature by the end of their first week.
- Build data expertise and own data quality for our proprietary database of millions of small and local businesses
- Find innovative ways of improving the granularity and quality of our businesses database
- Design, build, and launch extremely efficient & reliable data pipelines to move data to our Data Warehouse
- Implement systems for tracking data quality and consistency
- Architect, build, and launch new data models based on business and engineering needs
- Design and develop new systems and tools to enable folks to consume and understand data faster
- Work across multiple teams in high visibility roles and own the solutions end-to-end to support product, analytics, and marketing
- Good understanding of a SQL engine and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
- Proficient in at least one SQL language (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Ability to write well-abstracted, reusable code components
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
- Experience working with either a Map Reduce or an MPP system on any size/scale
- Experience in custom or structured (e.g., Informatica/Talend/Pentaho) ETL design, implementation, and maintenance
- Experience with one of the messaging systems (e.g., RabbitMQ, Kafka, SQS, Kinesis)
- Experience with dimensional data modeling & schema design in Data Warehouses
Why work with us:
- Help shape our product and company culture
- Form deep connections with local businesses
- Work in a beautiful office in a vibrant San Francisco neighborhood
- Medical, dental, and vision for you and your family
- Flexible vacation and holidays
- 401(k) plan
- Continuing education allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Free catered meals / fully-stocked kitchen with drinks and snacks
- Your choice of computer and accessories
What we need from you:
Please complete the application form on www.townsquared.com/join-our-team. Include in your cover letter examples of relevant work experience.
Townsquared is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. Minorities and LGBTQ are strongly encouraged to apply.