As someone who is newer to the working for yourself concept, the lack of a steady paycheck and the responsibility attached to that can really freak me out. This is an awesome article about practicing techniques that lead to composure, one the greatest strengths one can possess in business. These are:
1. Self confidence ("fake it til you make it", as a boss I had used to say, or more simply, believe in yourself and what you have to offer.)
2. Think before reacting (or speaking, but in this text and email world, reacting is more accurate - also referred to as "Self-Regulating").
3. Coping in crisis mode (keeping things as normal and routine as possible evn when times are tough and/or hectic.)
4. Avoid personal reactions (tough when it's YOUR name on the label, per se, but oh so important in business)
5. Body language (mostly facial expression: self-reminders to relax those frown muscles!
6. Accept responsibility (one of the most grown-up, un-corporate things you can do. Consider mistakes a learning experience!)
7. Listen, don't lash out (an empathetic ear is crucial when dealing with clients and employees; take the time to listen their concerns)
Anyone else have tips or advice on how to keep their composure?
Join Townsquared to see similar conversations and connect to your local business network.Join Today
We're all about empowering small business communities, and we know that means offline as well as online. That's why we regularly host get togethers to learn new skills, celebrate milestones, or simply provide a social space for local business people to meet their neighbors. Whether it's asking and getting answers to your questions, accessing local resources, or forming partnerships, discover how you can work smarter, together.
Proud Mary Coffee is a specialty coffee roaster and café—as well as educator and retailer—based in Melbourne, Australia. So what major city did this popular… Read more
Starting a business can be a scary proposition. You might be noodling on an idea for a long time before you actually take the plunge.… Read more